Injury on the Job

Home  >  Injury on the Job

When There is No Workers Compensation

Being injured on the job is not ideal in any circumstance. If you are injured at work and your employer doesn’t have workers’ compensation insurance, the situation can be even more devastating. How will you cover your medical costs? What happens if you miss time at work? These are important considerations.

At Zant Law Firm P.C., we understand that you have many questions and concerns after suffering a work-related injury. If you are injured but your employer does not have workers’ compensation protection, contact us. We can help you explore your options for compensation, such as a personal injury claim.

Employers are Required to Have Workers’ Compensation Insurance

In almost every state, employers are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance. This insurance must be provided by a third party insurance carrier or a self-insured program.  Failure to carry workers’ compensation insurance is a misdemeanor and is punishable by fines and/or jail time.

California law takes workers’ compensation serious. An employer who is illegally uninsured can be fined up to $10,000 per employee if an injury is compensable (qualifies for workers’ compensation benefits). The maximum fine is $100,000.

What To Do if Your Employer Doesn’t Have Workers’ Compensation Insurance

If you are injured and your employer doesn’t have workers’ compensation insurance, you can still pursue compensation. First, you may be able to pursue compensation directly from your employer. In California, if your employer cannot pay your benefits, then the Uninsured Employers Benefit Trust Fund may cover your workers’ compensation benefits.

If your employer doesn’t have workers compensation insurance, you may also be able to sue him or her via a personal injury claim. With a personal injury lawsuit, you can collect monetary damages for your work-related injury, including:

  • Medical expenses
  • Lost wages
  • Emotional distress
  • Punitive damages

The best way to find out which option is best for you is to speak with a personal injury attorney. Either of these options requires some action on your part. Call Zant Law Firm P.C. today to find out what you can do to get the compensation you need and deserve.

Call a California Personal Injury Attorney

If you have been injured at work and your employer does not have workers’ compensation insurance, call Zant Law Firm P.C. today to find out more about your legal rights and options. For a free consultation, call us at 915-799-0993.